- Council: Cassowary Coast Regional Council
- Fund: Regional Capital Fund
- Category: Cultural, Sports and Recreational Infrastructure
- Round: 1
The year-round fun sporting and recreational facility in MARCS Park will give residents and tourists not only an alternative to venturing into the stinger-infested ocean in summer, but also a place to gather for social events.
* Average number of Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) jobs supported by project construction (based on Queensland Treasury's Guidelines for estimating FTE jobs directly supported by the capital works program).
- The community-led Mission Beach Aquatic and Recreation Club’s survey of tourists found that one-third of respondents said a lack of water facilities was a major reason for not staying longer or not visiting in stinger season.
- The club has been working with council for 15 years and has committed $40,000 of community donations to the construction cost.
- Providing essential community infrastructure will diversify Mission Beach’s tourism product to increase the number and length of visits.
- The community will have a fun meeting place where water-based recreational activities can be undertaken all year around.
- Safer swimming options during the hot tropical summer when marine stingers prevent dipping in the sea.
- Water safety and learn-to-swim classes will be available to the public and the 320 students from Mission Beach State School as part of its health and physical education curriculum.
- The facility will host the school’s swimming carnival, enabling many parents, grandparents and friends to attend and boosting the opportunity to increase family participation in other school activities.
- 30–40 Mission Beach Surf Lifesaving Club nippers and up to 15 senior team members will be able to train weekly.
- Targets set to reduce water, energy and chemical usage.
- This facility will reduce the impact of marine stingers on local residents and visitors.
- Six-lane, 25m lap pool with shade-sail cover.
- Leisure pool.
- Indoor heated hydrotherapy pool.
- Entry and administration, kiosk, kitchen and dining area, amenities, storage and change rooms.
Disclaimer: Information on this page may change over the life of the project. Funding amounts referenced are as approved.