- Council: Palm Island Aboriginal Shire Council
- Fund: Remote and Indigenous Communities Fund
- Category: Cultural, Sports and Recreational Infrastructure
- Round: 2
Reinstated essential services for the safe operation of the Palm Island Sports Precinct will increase the number of sport and recreation activities available, in turn assisting to address health issues such as cardiovascular disease, mental illness and type 2 diabetes in the community.
The current facilities are dilapidated and in need of repair and this project will:
- repair all existing underground service feeds to the site including water, sewerage and electricity
- reinstate safe connections and operation of public space and field lighting, clubhouse and ablutions and water infrastructure
- refurbish the ablutions block, including complete internal fit out and renewing internal and external finishes
- enhance building security.
Once complete the facilities will be used by the seven existing rugby league clubs, the Bwgcolman Community School and St Michael’s Catholic School, and for sporting events such as the Palm Island versus Townsville armed services football match that attracts up to 2000 spectators.
Total project cost
* Average number of Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) jobs supported by project construction (based on Queensland Treasury's Guidelines for estimating FTE jobs directly supported by the capital work program).
Disclaimer: Information on this page may change over the life of the project.