- Council: Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council
- Fund: Remote Communities Infrastructure Fund
- Category: Other infrastructure
- Round: 1
The workshop's new roof and electrical system means the maintenance of council vehicles and equipment will be carried out more safely and efficiently, with training opportunities available for work experience students and apprentices.
Total project cost
* Average number of Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) jobs supported by project construction (based on Queensland Treasury's Guidelines for estimating FTE jobs directly supported by the capital works program).
- Four contractors and two council workers were employed on the project, which supports the ongoing employment of up to six employees in the workshop, and the 115 council employees who use the vehicles (boats, cars, trucks, rubbish truck, school bus, cranes, graders etc.) serviced in the workshop.
- Productivity will improve and costs cut through less time lost fixing the roof and repairing electrical failures, or during rain events.
- Opportunity exists for new revenue stream through council servicing contractor and private vehicles.
- Positive impact on roads upkeep as the civil construction plant will have less down time due to waiting for repairs/services.
- Improved security will reduce the costs associated with break-ins.
- Council reports a greater sense of community pride and ownership.
- Upskilling of council staff creates confidence.
- Council is working towards meeting its obligations under Section 28 of the Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995 to ensure the wellbeing of its workforce, contractors and visitors, including school work experience students.
- Invitation offered to Kowanyama State School and to JobFind to display information about opportunities and career paths.
- Better stormwater drainage.
- Less dust and better protection from the heat and rain.
- Safer storage of gas, fuel, paint and other hazardous materials.
- New roof with insulation and plumbing.
- Upgraded electrical system, meters, wiring and associated infrastructure.
- Better security lighting aided by installation of cameras.
Read more about the benefits of the Kowanyama Mechanical Workshop upgrade ( 119 KB).
Disclaimer: Information on this page may change over the life of the project. Funding amounts referenced are as approved.