- Council: Carpentaria Shire Council
- Fund: Royalties for Resource Producing Communities Fund
- Category: Economic Development Infrastructure
- Round: 1
Redeveloping and expanding the Les Wilson Barramundi Discovery Centre in Karumba will not only draw more tourists and students, but will give locals jobs and a community meeting place.
Total project cost
Funding (Other Qld Govt)
* Average number of Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) jobs supported by project construction (based on Queensland Treasury's Guidelines for estimating FTE jobs directly supported by the capital works program).
- Building our Regions funding has enabled council to expand this iconic tourism asset to provide sustainable job options and grow the economy without compromising its long-term financial sustainability.
- Council estimates the centre generates around $2.6m in gross regional product each year and expects this to increase.
- This project has the ability to support 26 ongoing jobs, including a full-time tourism officer, tour operators and hospitality staff, and contribute to the existing labour force of over 1000 people in the shire.
- The expansion opens new opportunities for council to partner with the tourism, retail, fishing and education sectors, including James Cook University.
- Tourism Queensland has identified the Barramundi Discovery Centre as one of 18 catalyst projects across the region drawing significant domestic and international visitor numbers.
- This upgrade will create a social, educational, sporting and recreational facility for locals and visitors through the interpretive centre, which will explore the lifecycle of the barramundi and include ponds for growing the hatchlings and for visitors to fish in, a souvenir and merchandise shop, a restaurant and a conference centre.
- Residents will have a wider range of recreation and social options in high-quality indoor and outdoor spaces.
- The expansion will create a key environmental education resource for schools across Australia, and enhance the understanding of sustainable fishing, the unique Gulf environment and local cultural heritage values.
- Interpretive centre exploring the barramundi’s lifecycle.
- Ponds for the hatchlings and to provide a fishing experience.
- Souvenir and merchandise shop, restaurant and conference centre.
Disclaimer: Information on this page may change over the life of the project. Funding amounts referenced are as approved.