The Department of State Development, in partnership with State Library of Queensland, welcomes you to be part of the inaugural BrisMakerFest to be held at The Edge on Saturday, 3 June 2017.
The BrisMakerFest will:
- showcase advanced manufacturing in Queensland
- encourage industry engagement with stakeholders including makers, researchers, entrepreneurs, designers, and educational institutions
- promote science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) skills and their fundamental importance to advanced manufacturing
- showcase emerging technologies and accelerate the sharing and testing of ideas and techniques between industry and makers.
The one-day program for the BrisMakerFest includes:
- Official opening – The Hon. Dr Anthony Lynham MP, Minister for State Development and Minister for Natural Resources and Mines
- Marita Cheng, 2012 Young Australian of the Year and Executive Director of Robogals Global – 'The amazing world of engineering'
- Dr Catherine Ball, 2015 Telstra Business Woman of the Year and co-founder of the start-up ‘She Flies’ which inspires gender equality in STEM careers – 'Drones and STEM'
- Professor Göran Roos, academic, technologist, businessman and thinker – 'The future of advanced manufacturing/business innovation'
- Kelley Roy, Founder and Owner, Art Design Portland (ADX) USA – 'ADX Makerspace'
- Chris Bridges-Taylor, General Manager, B&R Enclosures – 'Advanced manufacturing: a local business success story'
- Clarence Charya, Manager, Graduate Employment, Ai Group – 'Hiring for the next generation'
There will also be three two-hour workshops (open to the public aged 16 years or older) on:
- 3D design and printing
- wearable technology
- fabrication of furniture
Other activities include:
- a range of exhibitions including makers and manufacturers, and pop-up primary and high school makerspaces promoting STEM activities
- roving robots
- masterclasses held in the Conversation Café
The BrisMakerFest will be interactive and provide lots of opportunities to see what is new in manufacturing and emerging technologies. You can also find out if the new wave of manufacturing holds a career for you.
To register and find more event information, please visit the BrisMakerFest website.