Hydrogen is a clean, renewable fuel that can be used in transport, power supply and a range of industrial processes. It’s already key for a range of industries that provide vital inputs into our mining and agricultural sectors, including manufacturing.
Hydrogen can be produced from a variety of sources including renewables such as solar, wind and biomass.
Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy
We’re supporting the development of a sustainable hydrogen industry in Queensland. To help do this, we’ve released the Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy 2019-2024 ( 3.4 MB).
The strategy focuses on:
- supporting innovation
- facilitating private sector investment
- ensuring an effective policy framework
- building community awareness and confidence
- facilitating skills development for new technology.
Queensland Hydrogen Industry Development Fund
As part of the strategy, we’ve established a $15 million industry development fund to support hydrogen projects in Queensland.
The key objectives of the Hydrogen Industry Development Fund are to:
- grow Queensland’s hydrogen industry and attract investment in hydrogen related developments and infrastructure to produce hydrogen
- enhance the technical and commercial capacity of Queensland’s hydrogen industry to produce, utilise, store and transport hydrogen (or its derivatives)
- develop and strengthen the Queensland supply chain for hydrogen applications and deployment
- raise community awareness about the safe and sustainable use of hydrogen
- create new jobs, skills and training opportunities in hydrogen, particularly in regional areas of Queensland
- catalyse private sector investment and leverage third party funding to support investment in, and development of Queensland’s capacity to produce, store, transport and use hydrogen.
Expressions of interest for round one are now closed.
Frequently asked questions
Round one included two funding streams. Is there a specific amount of funding set aside for each funding stream?
Is there a specific amount of funding set aside for this funding round?
If I meet the criteria, does that mean I’ll definitely receive a grant?
Will there be further opportunities to apply for funding after applications close?
Will there be future funding rounds?
When will I hear the outcome of my EOI?
- Funding to flow towards new pipeline of Queensland hydrogen projects (9 July 2019)
- Budget 2019-20 invests in Queensland’s regions and businesses (11 June 2019)
- Minister outlines Queensland’s hydrogen plan to Japanese industry leaders (4 June 2019)
- Queensland's first hydrogen envoy announced in Japan (3 June 2019)
- Japan visit to jump-start Queensland’s hydrogen industry (2 June 2019)
- Queensland positioned to power the hydrogen highway (30 May 2019)
- Queensland’s hydrogen future closer to reality (28 March 2019)
- Hydrogen powers Queensland's future (22 January 2019)
- Premier's speech - CEDA State of the State address (12 September 2018)
- Palaszczuk Government backs hydrogen research for renewable fuel source (31 May 2018)
- On 22 November 2019, the COAG Energy Council released Australia’s National Hydrogen Strategy
- On 24 September 2019, Geoscience Australia released the report Prospective hydrogen production regions of Australia
- In September 2018, the Advancing Queensland’s hydrogen industry discussion paper ( 754 KB) was released for community and industry comment. Submissions have informed the development of the Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy 2019-2024
- National Hydrogen Roadmap - CSIRO (August 2018)
- Hydrogen for Australia's Future ( 1.1 MB) - COAG Energy Council briefing paper prepared by the Hydrogen Strategy Group (August 2018)
- Opportunities for Australia from Hydrogen Exports ( 3.6 MB) - Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) ACIL Allen consulting (August 2018)