To help councils realise project benefits for their communities sooner, the department has worked with them to see what could be done to deliver projects sooner. As a result, 14 projects commenced construction four or more weeks ahead of schedule—a cumulative total of 105 accelerated construction weeks.
In addition, Cardno has been commissioned to identify opportunities to accelerate the delivery of five high-value projects:
- Port Douglas Water Supply Reservoir – Douglas Shire Council
- Bromelton State Development Area Stage 1 Trunk Watermain – Scenic Rim Regional Council
- Moranbah Resource Recovery Centre Replacement Project – Isaac Regional Council
- Roma Flood Mitigation Project - Stage 2 – Maranoa Regional Council
- Ravenshoe Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade – Tablelands Regional Council
This work is still underway and will accelerate the construction schedule of each of these projects and, importantly, will create a valuable resource to be used in guidance material for Round 3 of the program.