|EIS status||Approved with conditions|
|Description||Open-cut coal mine with a yield of four million tonnes per annum (mtpa), and associated infrastructure.|
|Proponent||BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) Coal Operations. BMA is the manager and agent on behalf of the Central Queensland Coal Associates Joint Venture between BHP Billiton Ltd and Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd.|
|Location/s||30 km south-east of Moranbah, and about 170 km south-west of Mackay. Map|
|Local government/s||Isaac Regional Council|
* Project information supplied by proponent and subject to change.
BMA Bowen Basin Coal Growth Project
Daunia Mine is one of the four components of the BMA Bowen Basin Coal Growth Project. The others are:
- Caval Ridge Mine: new open-cut coal mine (5.5 mtpa) and coal handling preparation plant.
- Goonyella Riverside Mine Expansion: expansion of existing open-cut and underground coal mine from 16 mtpa to 24 mtpa. (This project has been discontinued.)
- Moranbah Airport: new airport, to replace the existing Moranbah airport. (This project has been discontinued.)
Please note: Although all four components were covered in the same initial advice statement and terms of reference for the EIS, each component was the subject of a separate EIS.
Environmental impact statement (EIS) process
|26 October 2009||Coordinator-General's report on EIS ( 1.85 MB) released.|
|3 April 2009||Supplementary EIS submitted.|
|29 November to
2 February 2009
|Public consultation on EIS. Available at State Library of Queensland (record number: 839704)|
|6 November 2008||Terms of reference for EIS ( 506 KB) released.|
|22 September 2008||Project deemed a controlled action by Commonwealth Minister for the Environment.|
|28 August 2008||Project referred to Commonwealth Minister for the Environment.|
|9 August 2008 to
5 September 2008
|Public consultation on draft terms of reference for EIS.|
|18 July 2008||Gazettal of 'significant project' declaration ( 209 KB)|
|27 May 2008||Application, including initial advice statement ( 1.11 MB), submitted.|
Australian Government approval
- Commonwealth Minister for the Environment's approval of controlled action, subject to conditions
- Notification of variation to conditions of approval
For more information, visit BMA's Growth Projects web page.
Last updated: Friday, Jun 7, 2019